Pronouns in the Workplace

Home Forums Channels Global Brazil Pronouns in the Workplace

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Corina Hendren
      Keymaster
      • she/her/hers
      • Out & Equal

Education around the use of pronouns, particularly nonbinary pronouns (ile/dile) sre becoming more common practice in many companies in Brazil. 

• Does anyone have any resources on pronouns and/or nonbinary inclusion in the Brazilian workplace (preferably in Portuguese)? 

• How are your companies talking about pronouns? How are you formalizing the best practices? 

Mergener Mendes
      • Mattos Filho

I am currently the only non binary employee on Mattos Filho Advogados, one of Brazil’s largest law firms. We still don’t have inside policies specifically oriented towards the use of pronouns, but I am slowly trying to bring up the issue from within our LGBTQIAP + committee. My idea is to try to implement the showing of pronouns on emails signatures and some kind of internal trainement to show employees how to use gender neutral language, even if not necesarily by using the ile / dile pronouns.

As to resources, I would like to appoint a material that was desenvolved by Gioni Caê, a non binary university student from Foz do Iguaçu/Paraná that studies the portuguese language and gathered really useful examples to show how gender neutral language can be incorporated into portuguese. The material is attatched to my comment. I hope it is useful to whoever sees this post. 🙂

Manual para o uso da linguagem neutra em Língua Portuguesa

Out and Equal Administrator
      Keymaster
      • Anything Respectful
      • Out & Equal

On 8/3/2020 at 4:58 PM, Mergener Mendes said:

I am currently the only non binary employee on Mattos Filho Advogados, one of Brazil’s largest law firms. We still don’t have inside policies specifically oriented towards the use of pronouns, but I am slowly trying to bring up the issue from within our LGBTQIAP + committee. My idea is to try to implement the showing of pronouns on emails signatures and some kind of internal trainement to show employees how to use gender neutral language, even if not necesarily by using the ile / dile pronouns.

As to resources, I would like to appoint a material that was desenvolved by Gioni Caê, a non binary university student from Foz do Iguaçu/Paraná that studies the portuguese language and gathered really useful examples to show how gender neutral language can be incorporated into portuguese. The material is attatched to my comment. I hope it is useful to whoever sees this post. 🙂

Manual Linguagem Neutra.pdf 108.22 kB · 1 download

Thanks for sharing this resource and your experience, Mergener! Training is an important step in introducing pronouns in the workplace. We encourage others to continue to share their own resources and experiences here in The Global Hub! There is certainly a lot we can learn from one another.

Global Hub Training Account
      Participant
      • Test Company

Thanks for sharing!

Global Hub Training Account
      Participant
      • Test Company

Hi all! Wanted to share these resources on this thread 🙂

Neutral & Inclusive Language (Portuguese)

Trans and Nonbinary Workplace Inclusion in Brazil

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
en_USEN
Scroll to Top